Re: RFS: self-serve photo booth software

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Adam Roses Wight wrote:

> * I'm leaning towards GPL-v3.0, any reason to reconsider this?

For this kind of software, GPLv3 seems ideal.

> * Need to finish i18n of the interface text.

i18n would definitely be a good idea, I'd suggest using gettext.

> * Sound effects are pulled in by the makefile, and belong to http://www.trekcore.com/audio/ -- I don't know if this is fair use or not.

For Debian the build process cannot access the network. For Debian we
cannot rely on fair use, we need the copyright holder to give the
audio a DFSG-free license like CC-BY-SA-3.0 or similar.

> * Debian metadata and documentation are crude, please suggest improvements.

As you are upstream, you may want to read this page:

https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide

You are missing a debian/watch file.

https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch

The debian/copyright file is completely empty.

None of the files appear to have copyright/license information:

http://lu.is/blog/2012/03/17/on-the-importance-of-per-file-license-information/

You might want to add a Vcs-Browser field to the debian/control file.

The Build-Depends field in debian/control is missing cmake/opencv/etc.
Please try to build the package using pbuilder/cowbuilder/sbuild.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/build.en.html#pbuilder

The maintainer address in debian/control is different to your address
and looks like it might not even work?

Standards-Version in debian/control is old, please check the upgrading
checklist:

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist

The ITP number in debian/changelog does not look correct, these days
it should be at least 6 digits.

http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

The version in debian/changelog should be 1.0.0~rc2-1 as that is the
latest upstream tag (converted to Debian format).

You might want to add a debian/upstream/metadata file:

https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata

You might want to add --parallel to the dh call in debian/rules.

Automated checks:

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/check-all-the-things.git

$ cme check dpkg
Warning in 'control source Standards-Version' value '3.9.4': Current
standards version is 3.9.6
Warning in 'control binary:booths Description' value '   Flail your
arms until the motion detector is activated, then beam your party into
the future!': Line too long in description
2015/04/19 16:25:58 No section found

$ cppcheck -j1 --quiet -f . | grep -vF 'cppcheck: error: could not
find or open any of the paths given.'
[sound.hpp:40]: (error) Mismatching allocation and deallocation: buf
[booths.cc:61]: (error) Instance of 'Sound' object is destroyed immediately.
[booths.cc:75]: (error) Instance of 'Sound' object is destroyed immediately.
[booths.cc:143]: (error) Instance of 'Sound' object is destroyed immediately.

$ find -empty
./debian/copyright

$ flawfinder -Q -c .
<various things, some may be important>

$ find -type f \( -iname '*.c' -o -iname '*.cc' -o -iname '*.cxx' -o
-iname '*.cpp' -o -iname '*.h' -o -iname '*.hh' -o -iname '*.hxx' -o
-iname '*.hpp' \) -exec include-what-you-use {} \;
<various things, some may be helpful in reducing build time>

$ grep -riE 'fixme|todo|hack|xxx' .
<some things to fix>

--
bye,