Re: Building a Debian package - is it normal to require that the package itself be installed?

* Chris Sharp <csharp@georgialibraries.org> [2015-04-16 09:51:57-0400]
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on building Debian packages for Evergreen-ILS
> (http://evergreen-ils.org/) and OpenSRF
> (http://evergreen-ils.org/opensrf-downloads/), and dpkg-buildpackage
> is failing because the upstream package's (OpenSRF in this case)
> Makefile expects a particular directory to exist on the server it's
> running on.  When installing the application manually, that's a
> reasonable assumption.  I was just wondering if that would be
> considered bad form as far as the upstream package goes, and something
> I would want to address as a Debian patch or if that's something to be
> expected when packaging certain software?

> Obviously, I'm new to this and would appreciate a pointer as I don't
> see this question addressed in the docs.

For sure, it is bad thing. Every debian package is built in clean
environment (sbuild(1), buildd) and you can't assume access to anywhere
other than root of source package.

Seems you will have to patch build system. See quilt(1).

--
Best regards, Dmitry Bogatov <KAction@gnu.org>,
Free Software supporter, esperantisto and netiquette guardian.