Building a Debian package - is it normal to require that the package itself be installed?

Hi,

I'm working on building Debian packages for Evergreen-ILS (http://evergreen-ils.org/) and OpenSRF (http://evergreen-ils.org/opensrf-downloads/), and dpkg-buildpackage is failing because the upstream package's (OpenSRF in this case) Makefile expects a particular directory to exist on the server it's running on.  When installing the application manually, that's a reasonable assumption.  I was just wondering if that would be considered bad form as far as the upstream package goes, and something I would want to address as a Debian patch or if that's something to be expected when packaging certain software?

Obviously, I'm new to this and would appreciate a pointer as I don't see this question addressed in the docs.

Thanks in advance,

--
Chris Sharp
PINES System Administrator