On providing a separate source package for the CUDA build of a library.

Dear all,

I am the maintainer of ArrayFire, a library which offers different implementations of the same API as computational backends. So far, I have packaged the CPU and OpenCL ones to keep the package in main, but a CUDA backend also exists.

Upstream kindly asked whether the CUDA backend could be packaged as well, and I wanted to confirm with you guys what my options are. I thought about providing an additional source package with the same upstream sources, but which would be responsible for building the CUDA backend only. I believe this source package (arrayfire-cuda) would have to be in contrib since it is open-source licensed but build-depends on non-free components (CUDA).

Is this the right way to go? Are there any tips to handle the synchronization between the arrayfire and arrayfire-cuda packages? Any other examples of a set-up like this in the archive?

Thanks for your advice,
Ghis