dpkg-buildpackage -A : common headers case

Dear Mentores:

I am currently hardening the arch/indep build scheme of some of my packages.
For most of them, there are common headers that are placed into a indep packages.
When the autotool chain is not that complex (and well written), it is easy to manage.
Nevertheless, for one of my package, the autotool chain is rather intricate (not to say messy):
managing the common headers is here hazardous. The best way would be to build the common header
package as arch package (arch for d/rules but indep for d/control) : is there a simple to do so ?

Thanks in advance,
Jerome