Re: Newbie: "Review request" on an updated LIRC package

On 30/10/15 12:45, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> Just my 2 cents here but quoting d-mentors FAQ [1]:
>
> "There are cases where upstream ships a tarball which already contains a
> debian directory. This is undesirable, even if you're upstream yourself
> or can commit there. Keep the released tarballs (used as .orig.tar.gz)
> and the debian directory separated."

hm... from the same reference:

> There's no need to remove the debian directory from their revision
> control system (although if it's out of date they may decide to do so
> anyway), but at the very least the directory shouldn't appear in
releases.
> If you are upstream yourself, well, you can ask yourself to do it.

We don't plan to ship the debian subdir in the package tarball, but as a
separate set of files (debian,.tar.gz, lirc_0.9.4.orig.tar.gz, *.dsc,
*.build). Isn't this according to this what's actually suggested in that
FAQ? Or did I miss something?

That said, I completely agree it would be better if someone (preferebly
with debian packaging skills) maintained an actual package. It's just
that it seems unlikey to happen unless upstream does something (?)

Cheers!

--alec