Re: Newbie: "Review request" on an updated LIRC package

Just my 2 cents here but quoting d-mentors FAQ [1]:

"There are cases where upstream ships a tarball which already contains a debian directory. This is undesirable, even if you're upstream yourself or can commit there. Keep the released tarballs (used as .orig.tar.gz) and the debian directory separated."

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq#What.27s_wrong_with_upstream_shipping_a_debian.2F_directory.3F

So you should rather have a separate "debian" branch in the upstream VCS, branched out with the content of the current Debian packaging and rebase your packaging work on it.

That way, once the new packaging is tested and reviewed then the maintainers (if they respond) would just have to pull from it. If you're worried about credit, just add yourself in the list of authors for debian/ in d/copyright.

Ghis