Re: Best practices for downloader packages

Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> writes:
> * Ole Streicher <olebole@debian.org>, 2015-08-16, 19:17:
>> * Shall it be native? There is no "local" upstream code, so the
>> directory is just empty (except the debian/ subdir). However,
>> "native" may not the best mark to it, since the package ist not
>> really a debian-only one (the data may be used elsewhere as well).
>
> My feeling is that if there's no upstream code, then the package
> should be native.

There may be no upstream stuff in the package itself, but there is
upstream data in the installed package.

> Does upstream make formal versioned releases? That could maybe justify
> non-native version.

More-or-less. I yesterday realized that despite of there are versions,
they are not really consecutive; upstream recommends the older package
in some situations. Therefore, I will create two source packages...

>> * Since the download code if DFSG-Free, the downloader goes to
>> contrib, independently of the copyright of the data, right?
>
> Right.

.... which is a bit pity, since the package *is* actually DFSG-free,
including the downloaded data. The reason that they are not in the
Debian archive is just a technical, not a license one: The source data
size is about 8 GB, and the binary packages are from 160 MB to ~13 GB.

My feeling here is that this undermines the Philosophy of the DFSG: If
someone wants to have a DFSG compatible system, he still needs to add
contrib to sources.list to get these files.

Best regards

Ole