Dropping debian/ directory vs Continuous Integration / daily-debs

Dear Debian mentors,

I hope this is the right place to ask this kind of question. If it's
not, a pointer in the right direction would be much appreciated.

I have programmed a software called [dspdfviewer], and I feel its
reasonably stable and usable (it is acquiring a growing userbase,
judging from the feedback I get by e-mail and github) now to be included
in distributions.

Since I'm a long-time user of debian myself, i created it as a debian
package pretty much from the start, learning and using tools like
mk-build-deps, debuild and sbuild, and now I have automated builds with
[jenkins-debian-glue] and github, telling me failures on each revision.
 (Jenkins builds the same source against wheezy, jessie and sid). A
similar mechanic hosted by canonical auto-builds from the repository for
all of ubuntu's supported releases.
This allows (a) users that want to try new features to do that without
having to compile themselves, and (b) gives me good feedback that I have
not broken any compatibility.

I wanted to ask for an inclusion in debian, but the policy says that
even if I'm upstream myself, I'm not supposed to have a debian/
directory at all. So I have not filed an official request for inclusion yet.

Since I can't find any documentation on how other people do this, maybe
you can help me:

If I don't have a debian/ directory in my git repository, how do I
verify that each revision builds cleanly in a chroot? And how do people
integrate with CI server like jenkins (the debian-glue specifically
states that it needs a debian/ directory).

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Danny

[dspdfviewer]: https://github.com/dannyedel/dspdfviewer
[jenkins-debian-glue]: http://jenkins-debian-glue.org/