Re: Why are old bug reports left open?

On 2015-06-02 20:10, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:
> [...]
> If I were the maintainer, I believe that I would have closed a bug like this.  The actual maintainer however (now emeritus) is smarter than me.  He did not close it.  This suggests that he knew something I do not understand about proper bug handling.

The package is orphaned and thus have no "actual maintainer".

There are plenty of reasons why the previous maintainer might not have
closed the bug.  The most common/likely one being that he/she simply
forgot about it (and happened to retire before remembering about it).

If I were you, and I saw no reason to keep the bug open, I would close
it.  You will hear from people when they disagree strongly with your
actions, but they will be quiet if they agree or don't care.

> [...]
>
> I am confused.  What should I learn from this example about proper bug handling, please?
>
> (For information, I am thinking of adopting the package in question, orphaned six months.  I am however reluctant to begin by closing bugs the old, smart maintainer saw fit to leave open.  I am not the best possible maintainer for this package, but no one else is maintaining it.  This is why I ask advice.)

I believe that [1] is a good resource for you.  None of us were perfect
when we joined and none of us are now despite our best efforts (the
"old, smart maintainer" included).

If you want a lesson learned:

 * Always tag/update your bugs when you reply to the bug.
 * Frequently revisit the bugs for your packages and check if some of
   them has expired by now.
   - Pro-tip: Have a periodic calender reminder for this.  E.g. "spring
     clean the bug page for ${list-of-packages}" set for the early
     period of March, where it is still too cold to go outside but light
     enough for you to leave your winter coat at home despite knowing
     you will freeze at the slightest breeze.

Thanks,
~Niels

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/641779/