Why are old bug reports left open?

A bug is years old.  It will probably not be fixed.  It should probably not be fixed.  It is probably not even a bug.

The bug's submitter is not complaining.

Why is the bug still open?

Example: #619363. [1]

    1: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=619363

If I were the maintainer, I believe that I would have closed a bug like this.  The actual maintainer however (now emeritus) is smarter than me.  He did not close it.  This suggests that he knew something I do not understand about proper bug handling.

I cannot find the answer in Developer's Reference, sect. 5.8.

I am confused.  What should I learn from this example about proper bug handling, please?

(For information, I am thinking of adopting the package in question, orphaned six months.  I am however reluctant to begin by closing bugs the old, smart maintainer saw fit to leave open.  I am not the best possible maintainer for this package, but no one else is maintaining it.  This is why I ask advice.)