Please create a Debian Human project

I've been holding my self back from writing this for quite a while. This rant stems from my almost 2 years of frustration of trying to join the debian community and create a meaningful contribution to the project. I hope that the reader will understand that it is embarrassing to me to expose myself so much, so, for that reason, I'm writing this message anonymously.

I have contributed to other projects, I have in fact been working with software development for a bit over 4 years. I have contributed to other OSS projects and I know that it is hard to get the attention of someone who is working on a software using his(her) free time. I'm used to harsh replies, rotting patches, thankless work and pure simple indifference. But nowhere I felt so abandoned as in the debian project.

Contributing to debian is hard. Communication seems to be the toughest problem that most human beings seem to face trying to interact with the veterans. Bugs are left to rot for years, emails to other developers are often never replied, even requests to help, of any shape through either the mailing lists or the IRC channels can be completely ignored.

Once you finally get the attention of a Debian Developer or a Debian Maintainer, more often than not, you are going to get a backslash. You either have not read the necessary guide, FAQ or policy and because of that the best you are going to get is the tersest retort for you to conform yourself to the Debian standards. I can count in one hand the number of times that I was lucky enough to get this far.

All that make those sporadic emails calling for contributions look like some sadistic taunting, an attempt incite me to keep investing pointless work into a project that have no interest in what I do.

And now that I'm starting to see contributions from the new developers from the Debian Women project I'm appalled with difference of treatment. Almost all their emails, questions and patches get educated and helpful replies. The difference is so vast that to me it feels like they are part of a completely different project. If I contributed with a female name would I get treated like that?

Which brings me to the title of this email. I'm terribly jealous of the Debian Women newbies, but I do not want to have females receive the same kind of attitude that I did during my sad journey. What I want is that every other human being to receive the same kind of attention that my women counterparts seem to have. I want is that when a developer asks what can he do to help he gets an reply rather than silence or in the best case an hyperlink, that when somebody writes an malformed patch or bug ticket he gets a reply to do in such and such way. And if none of that is possible sometimes even bad human contact is better than no contact.

If giving such kind of attention seems unreasonable because veterans are overworked, I would like to suggest that perhaps older contributors are overworked because they can't train enough new maintainers to share the load.

All of this can be my fault. Maybe I'm just inadequate to work with the project, maybe I always asked for help to the wrong people, at the wrong places, maybe I read all the outdated guidelines FAQ's and whatnot. But even if all my opinions are wrong and I have no right to complain, I think that this message have reached its purpose, for it's the intent of a rant to be heard and to be listened is all I wanted.

Anonymous.