Re: git-p4 package in contrib, how to proceed?

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Luke Diamand <luke@diamand.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to create a package  for 'git-p4', a python script which mirrors
> between git and Perforce (the latter is a proprietary version control
> system). I'm looking for advice on the best way to do this.
>
> The source code lives in the upstream git repository, but isn't packaged
> with the regular 'git' package because of the proprietary nature of
> Perforce. I thought I'd try to create a separate package that could go into
> contrib instead.
>
> I've created a bug report with a patch for the git package to implement this
> (773245) which Jonathan Nieder was kind enough to look at, but I'm
> struggling to understand what I should do next!
>
> Is it going to be possible to get the regular git package to generate a
> secondary package in contrib? Or would I be better off with a new standalone
> package?

Yes, source packages in main can generate binary packages in contrib;
Policy does not prevent this from happening, and there are existing
source packages in main, in the archive, which generate binary
packages in contrib. See e.g. src:nvidia-settings (and #747837 which
was what prompted one of the binary packages built from it to be moved
from contrib to main).

Regards,
Vincent