Re: Fixing the warning of Depends field unknown substitution variable ${perl:Depends}

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 21:26:10 +0100, Stephen Kitt wrote:

>> My packages gives this warning:
>>
>>   dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package dbab: unknown
>> substitution variable ${perl:Depends}
>>
>> I am packaging Perl stuff, and I do use IO::Socket::INET in my code.

> If you
> think ${perl:Depends} should have a value then there may be something
> else going on; what does dbab end up depending on once it's built?
> (dpkg-deb -I dbab*deb will tell you.)
>
> (Note that IO::Socket::INET is part of perl, so you don't need to depend
> on anything beyond that as far as I can see.)

Yes, you are right. once it's built, here is what from dpkg-deb -I:

 Depends: dnsmasq, curl

>> $ grep '^Depends: ' debian/control
>> Depends: ${misc:Depends}, ${perl:Depends}, dnsmasq, curl

> If you want to fix the warning you should remove ${perl:Depends}.

But you and Paul Wise in https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2013/12/
msg00059.html suggest that I remove ${perl:Depends}. However, I AM
packaging a Perl script, would it be better that I put just a 'perl'
there?

Thanks