Re: Fixing the warning of Depends field unknown substitution variable ${perl:Depends}

Hi,

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 19:24:59 +0000 (UTC), T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> My packages gives this warning:
>
>   dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package dbab: unknown
> substitution variable ${perl:Depends}
>
> I am packaging Perl stuff, and I do use IO::Socket::INET in my code:
>
> https://github.com/suntong001/dbab/blob/master/src/bin/dbab-svr
>
> In https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2013/12/msg00060.html
> Russ Allbery pointed out that,
>
> ,-----
> | "unknown" means you tried to use it and nothing set it... dh_perl found
> | some Perl script or library in the package and tried to write out the
> | substitution variable.
> `-----

Russ is highlighting the difference between "unused" and "unknown"; the
latter part you're quoting refers to "unused", not "unknown". "unknown" means
the exact opposite: your control file refers to a substitution variable which
has no value.

> However, I do have that "${perl:Depends}" in my control file:
>
> $ grep '^Depends: ' debian/control
> Depends: ${misc:Depends}, ${perl:Depends}, dnsmasq, curl
>
> File: https://github.com/suntong001/dbab/blob/master/debian/control
>
> So how exactly should I fix it?

If you want to fix the warning you should remove ${perl:Depends}. If you
think ${perl:Depends} should have a value then there may be something else
going on; what does dbab end up depending on once it's built? (dpkg-deb -I
dbab*deb will tell you.)

(Note that IO::Socket::INET is part of perl, so you don't need to depend on
anything beyond that as far as I can see.)

Regards,

Stephen