Re: Facilitating contributions by newcomers

On 2014-11-10 10:58, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> On 09/11/14 21:44, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> On Sun, 09 Nov 2014, Christian Kastner wrote:
>>> With the recent gamification of just-about-everything, I was wondering
>>> whether following such an achievement-oriented approach, with
>>> opportunities for contribution formulated as a list of specific tasks,
>>> instead of general avenues, would be helpful in overcoming this
>>> initial difficulty. (This would be in addition to mentors.debian.net
>>> and other established avenues for entry to Debian, not a replacement).
>> This is an avenue that I'm interested in exploring for the BTS as well,
>> so if people have good ideas, or want to be involved with this, please
>> contact me in #debbugs on irc.debian.org, or email
>> owner@bugs.debian.org.
>>

> Are you guys thinking of something like the Fedora "badges" or Ubuntu
> "accomplishments" ?

I wasn't aware of these, and they certainly look very interesting.

I didn't have this in mind when I wrote my original submission; I was
only thinking in terms of tasks as steps to complete when working
towards eventual DM or DD status.

But I can see that rewarding individual tasks with badges and the like
can have their appeal, especially for newcomers not yet having
aspirations of becoming DM/DD, instead only wishing to contribute a
little something back to Debian, even if it's just a one-off thing. I
think rewarding contributions in this fashion is a great way to inspire
an "I'm part of this" feeling in contributors.