Re: DFSG filtering question

Hi,

On 16.10.2014 19:50, Felix Natter wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have a small java package (jmapviewer) where I might soon have to
> remove a file (displaying tiles from bing maps) due to licensing issues.
>
> I would do this by specifying Files-Excluded:
> .../BingAerialTileSource.java in debian/copyright, but it's not that
> easy since other Files ("Demo.java") reference it.
>
> => I see two ways to do this:
>
> 1. remove "BingAerialTileSource.java" using Files-Excluded: and modify
> "Demo.java" using a quilt patch
> => orig.tar.gz contains code that won't compile, is that a problem?

If you run uscan BingAerialTileSource.java will be removed from the original
tarball due to the Files-Excluded directive. In conjunction with your patch there
shouldn't be any code left that won't compile. The Debian package is always the
original tarball + Debian changes (the debian directory).

> 2. remove "BingAerialTileSource.java" and modify "Demo.java" both using
> quilt patches

I would go for 1. Just repack the tarball and add +dfsg to the version number.

Regards,

Markus