Re: Sample Debian package to show-case all

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:30 AM, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there a *simple* sample Debian package somewhere out there that show-
> case most of the important Debian packaging aspects?

I think you want to look at the hello package.

> E.g., with a small C/C++ file, the sample package shows
>
> - the latest standard of debian/rules file

Depends what you mean by 'latest' as different people prefer different
toolsets. Personally I would use this:

#!/usr/bin/make -f
%:
    dh $@

> - the most simplified Makefile

This is upstream stuff not Debian stuff. If the upstream Makefile has
issues when using dh/debhelper, send them a patch and ask for a new
release.

> - how to build from ./configure

Personally I would use the debian/rules listed above, which does this
automatically. If you need something more than that, read the dh
manual page to find out how to override debhelper commands.

> - how to properly put/handle .1 man file
> - how to properly put/handle .html doc file

This is upstream stuff not Debian stuff. When upstream is not doing
the right thing you can also workaround the issues by using
dh_installman and dh_installdocs. Please read the manual pages for
info about how to configure these.

> - how to properly name patch files

Ultimately you should have no patches because you worked with upstream
to fix the issues and make new releases.

If you have to workaround upstream by adding patches, the names of
patch files don't matter, just ensure they make sense - usually a
shorter version of the descriptions is good. Some teams have certain
conventions for patch filenames.

--
bye,
pabs