Re: launchpad for debian and autobuilders

+++ Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda [2014-12-12 08:57 +0100]:
> Hi,
>

> do you know if exist some place where someone could dput a debian source
> package and it was built in a clean environtment for a debian distro, as
> launchpad service for ubuntu?

Debian is (slowly, as ever, help very welcome) working on PPA-equivalents.

In the meantime the only public service I'm aware of for this is OBS:
https://build.opensuse.org/

There are debian packages for the client end (obs-build) which you can
install, prepare your package, and specifiy what distros/suites you
want it built for, then OBS will do that for you. The architecture
support does not cover all of debian's arches.

> And, if it doesn't exist, could some of you explain why we don't have this?

It's mostly designed, but is waiting for the tuits to implement it.

> Or, should I have to create a something similar to a jenkins infrastructure to
> test and build my own packages?

It should be loads easier than it is for a random person to install a
little local autobulder. We have been very bad at making this easy.

It is relatively painless to install: rebuildd, debile or pybit and
get things rebuilt-on-checkin, but only for your local arches unless
you have a handy pile of foreign-arch machines lying around or can be
bothered to set up qemu-builders or cross-builders. (And all of those
packages have issues to some degree).

But that doesn't solve the 'having somewhere public for others to
download from' or the 'building other arches natively' issues.

I have looked at this issue a few times and would love to have more
time to spend to spend on it...

Wookey
http://wookware.org/