Re: Fixing the warning of Depends field unknown substitution variable ${perl:Depends}

T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> writes:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 21:26:10 +0100, Stephen Kitt wrote:

>> If you think ${perl:Depends} should have a value then there may be
>> something else going on; what does dbab end up depending on once it's
>> built?  (dpkg-deb -I dbab*deb will tell you.)
>>
>> (Note that IO::Socket::INET is part of perl, so you don't need to depend
>> on anything beyond that as far as I can see.)

> Yes, you are right. once it's built, here is what from dpkg-deb -I:

>  Depends: dnsmasq, curl

So, missing the perl dependency, which is what the ${perl:Depends}
substitution variable is for.

>>> $ grep '^Depends: ' debian/control
>>> Depends: ${misc:Depends}, ${perl:Depends}, dnsmasq, curl

>> If you want to fix the warning you should remove ${perl:Depends}.

> But you and Paul Wise in https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2013/12/
> msg00059.html suggest that I remove ${perl:Depends}. However, I AM
> packaging a Perl script, would it be better that I put just a 'perl'
> there?

If you are packaging something that uses Perl, such as this package, you
should include ${perl:Depends} in the Depends line in debian/control so
that dh_perl can use it to add the perl dependency.  If you're not, you
can leave it out.