Re: Facilitating contributions by newcomers

Hey,

On 12/11/14 09:50, Christian Kastner wrote:
> On 2014-11-12 02:14, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> I'd suggest using the BTS's summary command, which enables you to
>> nominate a message whose first paragraph will summarize the bug.
>>
>> This is free form, but that's probably good enough (at least for
>> starters).
>
> a search by the "entry-point" tag alone would indeed reduce the list of
> issues to hundreds (thousands?) of entries, but that's still a lot. On
> the other hand, if these were possible, I think the value should be
> evident (FTR, all flags to how-can-i-help made up):
>
>     $ how-can-I-help --difficulty low --skills C
>     $ how-can-I-help --difficulty hard --skills Java
>     $ how-can-I-help --type translation
>     $ how-can-I-help --difficulty low --skills packaging

While I really like the idea (and I'm willing to implement it in
how-can-i-help) I see two things that need to be discussed/resolved if
we are going to use 'summary' field:

1. UDD needs to be made aware of the 'summary' field. I did a few simple
queries [1] but I didn't find it in UDD database, so I'm assuming that
it is not supported at the moment. I'm not an expert here so I do not
know if it is even possible and if so, how much work is required to add it.

2. In order to make it machine (hcih-)readable we have to define a
clear, sane format. We will also have to define a list of available
options (difficulties, skills, types, etc.).

Regards,
T.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/UltimateDebianDatabase/Hacking