Mininet packaging for jessie

Hi all,
me and Darek work on packaging of mininet [1,2] for jessie.
Unfortunately, although the package is kind-of ready, we have
problems:

   (1) the last release cannot be used in jessie as-it-is, because
       its dependency is not available (see [3])
   (2) the development version of mininet contains a code that
       would be a good solution to (1), but it has not been released
       yet; I've been asking the authors to tell me if the release
       is going to happen soon, but to no avail

My first solution was to provide a workaround to (1) on top of
the last release (see [4]). Another solution would be to backport
the code from the development branch. In any case, the resulting
package would be essentially a fork (at least until the upstream
releases a new version). This is unpleasant in terms of support
and may clash with intentions of upstream.
Another solution is to pick a "good" commit in git and package it
hoping that no serious bugs will be found.

Dear mentors, what do you think? Will it be possible to push mininet
before jessie freeze?

Cheers,
Tomasz

[1] https://github.com/mininet/mininet