Re: Please help fix lintian hardening-no-relro problem

On 2014-09-12, at 00:30:28 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 09:07:27 +0100, Azazel wrote:
> > Now that you've raised the debhelper compat level from 5 to 9, dh
> > should do the right thing.  Just revert the changes in which you
> > ripped out the auto-tooling, e.g.:
>
> OMG, you are my hero Azazel! histring is the package that I want to
> take up and maintain, however, it has taken me nearly two weeks trying
> to solve this hardening-no-relro error, writing emails back and force
> again and again, making tiny progress each time. Yet, you solve it
> with a single message!!! Moreover, you've not only told me how to fix,
> but showed me how to fix it with git command, that's REALLY
> appreciated because I was ready to rename my git repo and start all
> over from scratch again. THANK YOU!!!

You're welcome.

> Just out of curiosity, the source package I uploaded,
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/h/histring/histring_1.1.0-2.dsc
> should be working according to your above principle, but why it is
> failing?

Because you weren't using debhelper to build the package, but were
explicitly calling $(MAKE):

  build-stamp:  config.status
    dh_testdir

    # Add here commands to compile the package.
    $(MAKE)

    touch $@

If you use that style, you need either to set CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS etc.
yourself or to add:

  DPKG_EXPORT_BUILDFLAGS = 1
  include /usr/share/dpkg/buildflags.mk

at the top of the rules file.