How to acknowledge NMU

(This discussion started here[0], but I'm bringing it to a new thread in hope it's seen by a wider range of people.)

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2014/09/msg00034.html

How to proper acknowledge a NMU? As described, I included the NMU version changelog in debian/changelog after the new version I'm preparing. From the devref, this appears to be all that's necessary, at least in my interpretation. But there are some cases (see [1], for example), albeit older, that add an entry in the changelog explicitely acknowledging it and closing the bug.

[1] http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/g/gconjugue/unstable_changelog

So what's really necessary?

Thanks,

--