Re: Build-depending on non-free package

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 1:07 AM, Ole Streicher wrote:
> >> I am just looking for a solution for this problem...
> >
> > It might be easier to port the software to something that isn't
> > non-free so the package can be put in main.
>
> As you can see from the bug, dependency from pgplot is quite common. It
> seems not so easy to have a free replacement for that.
>
> At the end, this is what contrib is for, isn't it?

Not really, although it can certainly be used like that (when autobuilding
doesn't get in the way).

Contrib is well-suited to packages that require non-free data.   It has
always had a problem when there are build-time dependencies on non-free.
Actually, for a *long* time we didn't even autobuild anything in contrib or
non-free.

  Henrique Holschuh