Re: Build-depending on non-free package

Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> writes:
> i386 packages can be built in a chroot. For anything else, you can ask on a
> porters' mailing list[0]; although it might not be worth the effort.

OK, my sponsor granted be upload rights for the package yet. So, I first
uploaded a new version (source + amd64), and then built a binary-only
package for i386. However, this was rejected:

| ACL dm: binary-only uploads are not allowed

which I do not understand. Why is it forbidden for me to upload without
sources? Since, with dpkg-genchanges, I could create *any* combination
of source and binaries, even the combined upload is not guaranteed to
have a consistent set, I don't see a reason for this. Can this be
explained, please?

And, the question remains: how do I effectively shall maintain such a
package without burding a heavy load to my sponsor and possibly to other
people (porters)? I am willing to do my job here, but I see myself quite
slowed down by the combination of some very ineffective procedures ...

Best regards

Ole