Re: Build-depending on non-free package

Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> writes:
> * Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr <debian-devel@liska.ath.cx>, 2014-08-14, 19:49:
>>> i386 packages can be built in a chroot. For anything else, you can
>>> ask on a porters' mailing list[0]; although it might not be worth
>>> the effort.
>>
>> Since I am not a DD yet, this would mean that I have to ask for
>> access to all porter boxes, build the binaries, and then ask my
>> sponsor to upload them.
>
> Nope. Sponsors upload only packages they built themselves. And they
> already have access to all the porterboxes.

So they have to do all the work? That doesn't sound like a good usage of
sponsorship. At least my understanding of the Debian mentoring process
is that the sponsor just checks if everything is OK (and for this he
needs to build the package anyway), and then uploads it.

Asking my sponsor to build and the package on half a dozen platforms
manually and to repeat that for every new release would abuse the idea
of sponsorship, right? So, what *is* actually the way for me to get it
ported?

Best

Ole