Re: Backport ipmitool for stable release

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 07:19:46PM +0200, Jörg Frings-Fürst wrote:

Hi,

> on ipmitool exist a bug[1] to add "Dell 13G server" support.
>
> Therefore my questions:
>
> - Does Debian have rules when backports are possible?

http://backports.debian.org/Contribute/#index5h3
Two answer your question I guess the main points are:
- It builds in a wheezy enviroment.
- The relevant release is already part of testing so it has a chance
  to be part of the next stable release.

That is for backports of course not for adding patches to the current
stable package as part of a point release.
There the rules are slightly different and reviewed by the release team.

In either case having the code tested in unstable/testing first is a good
starting point.

> - What is your opinion about this backport?

Sounds like a reasonable request. :)

The size of the patch and level of complexity is not high
so after having the code in unstable and testing a request for
inclusion of patched package in the next point release is not
too far fetched.

Sven