Re: Autoreconfing guide

+++ Russ Allbery [2014-07-15 23:55 -0700]:
> Yavor Doganov <yavor@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I also wonder why debian/autoreconf is needed given that autoreconf
> > is recursive.
>
> I don't think autoreconf can always figure out what to do when the files
> are buried in some random subdirectory without anything at the top level.

Correct. It's generally when the source is in a subdir and there is
nothing autotooly at all at the top level. Or when the package
effectively contains two separate autoconf source trees in it.

It's not very common but certainly have some of these.

There are also packages that put all the auto* files, including
configure.ac, in a subdir, but put configure itself at the top
level. I don't know if it's possible to explain this layout to
autotools, or if it's just something we should be telling upstream to
stop doing? (I've been dealing with it by backing-up
the top-level configure, running autoconf in the subdir, copying the
resulting configure up to the top, and building. Then put the old,
shipped, configure back manually on clean. Which is just ugly).

Wookey
http://wookware.org/