Re: Unlicensed files

On Tue, 2014-05-27 at 23:59 +0200, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> El Dimarts, 27 de maig de 2014, a les 19:37:52, Tobias Frost va escriure:
> [...]
> > >
> > > I have bug [1] and therefore I asked to upstream about this files. Hi
> > > kindly reported me the licenses, but I have some files (for instance
> > > javascripts gen_validatorv31.js) that I have not found any information
> > > about the license.
> > Actually you can find it by just following the URL given in the
> > gen_validatorv31.js file itself. (Granted, this link points to the right
> > homepage, but to a newer version of the file. However with the help of
> > archive.org you can find the version "31" and actually the license terms
> > did not change since then:
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20081230025946/http://www.javascript-coder.com/h
> > tml-form/javascript-form-validation.phtml
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20081230025946/http://www.javascript-coder.com/
> > html-form/javascript_form.zip
> >
> > Unfortunatly neigther the license in the file nor the EULA* file in the
> > zip file grants you explictily the rights for distribution. So I fear
> > you cannot.
> > (Additionally -- but this does not really matter without the right for
> > distribution -- the file is not dfsg-free, as e.g commercial use is
> > prohibited)
>
> I must repack sources...
>
> > > Also, in the test directory, not in any deb file, I have two shell script
> > > with no license in the header, and I have just a sentence in a private
> > > mail from upstream.
> >
> > What does that sentence tell? Was this the "not licensesd" answer you
> > referred to earlier?
>
> Sorry for not be clear, in a second mail I understood it: they are covered
> under the same license that the rest.
>
> > (Well IMHO as the main directory has a LICENSE file telling of a
> > 3-clause-BSD license for the whole thing, I would expect that this shell
> > scripts are covered by this licenses without explicitly having a header
> > in it. Of course having a license header is always clearer/preferred,
> > but at least its a base IMHO you can safely assume that licensing is ok)
>
> Yes, ...
>

> So, then, as I have the package in a git [1], I understand that just unpack
> the original sources, delete the conflictive files, repack it with dfsg sufix and
> add with import-orig, no?

Other way round: First implement get-orig-source, remove the file in
get-orig-source to create the tarball (the target should regenerate the
source-tarball in the archives bit-wise, so if you reinvoke the target
you end up with a file having the same hash). I think this article on
the Wiki is good to get started:
https://wiki.debian.org/onlyjob/get-orig-source

(I see as you package git snapshot you probably have a get-orig-source
taget anyway (didn't check), so that's your way. Otherwise, when you're
using uscan, you can use the new feature to remove files as described
here: https://wiki.debian.org/UscanEnhancements)

--
Tobi