how to convert a .doc file in the context of a package build?

The upstream for my package has created excellent documentation
for the package, in the form, Goddess help him, of a .doc file!

Well, at least it is GPLed.

I have had more trouble, converting this documentation, in the
context of a build, to a civilized form, than I ever had building
the program.

I would like to comment on some of the methods I have used and
solicit comments from others that must have had the same problem.

All of the methods, that I have been able to use, are based on
libreoffice. This is a difficulty, because libreoffice seems always to
change. Also the parts that need to be installed for the conversion to
work, seems to vary and be undocumented.

unoconv works but it must be carefully used. It tends to leave
unkilled sub-processes around that must be carefully killed or
sbuild will hang indefinitely.

libreoffice convert (loconvert) from the open suse world can be copied
over.  It is gpled. But it is written in python2 and the dependencies
are also not clear.

libreoffice --convert-to works, but the command to be used is
baroque and undocumented and the build-depends dependencies
are undocumented and unclear.

We need a clear method for converting these files, which does
to leave unclear subprocess, which is well documented and whose
build-depends dependencies are clear and documented.

What are others experience?

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J