Re: Install /usr/bin/something from upstream source to /usr/bin/something on hdd?

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 3:04 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I see no reason why not.  Whether it's easy to install the software
> outside of Debian isn't really something that Debian itself should be that
> worried about, as long as the packages in Debian do the right thing.

I'd say we should encourage our upstreams to make their software
useful to at least the rest of the Linux distros and at best the rest
of the Free Software community, this seems to be in the spirit of the
Social Contract. In addition we should probably point them at our
upstream guide.

https://www.debian.org/social_contract
https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide

--