Install /usr/bin/something from upstream source to /usr/bin/something on hdd?

Hi,

I am upstream as well as would like to become a debian maintainer some
day. Still learning packaging.

Due to the luxury of being upstream as well, the upstream source package
can be formatted in any way I wish. [In this case it is a simple package
with shell scripts only.]

Personally I find it useful to have a folder layout like this:
upstream_source_folder/usr/bin/some_script
upstream_source_folder/usr/bin/another_script
upstream_source_folder/etc/some_config
upstream_source_folder/etc/init.d/some_init

Those should get installed to /usr/bin/some_script etc.

Is it possible to simplify packaging? I mean, is it possible to automate
this without using a package.install file? In other words, is it
possible to tell debhelper, "use the
upstream_source_folder/usr/bin/some_script and install it to
/usr/bin/some_script"?

Cheers,
Patrick