Re: Weird conffile case

On Monday 03 March 2014 08:59:01 Dariusz Dwornikowski wrote:
> It is upstream's choice. But  I will include such a patch, it is quite
> trivial. But this is not the case here.
> The problem is that installing the package asks for users' decision
> (keep config, replace with maintainer, etc).
> Applying the patch won't, unfortunately, solve my problem here. Thank
> you for the suggestion anyway.

It won't solve the problem for the *next* release. But the problem should be
solved after. So I guess that's a fair solution (even if not ideal).

If you really want to solve this problem for next release, you will have to:
* stop delivering mararc in /etc/maradns/ (i.e. no more conffile problem)
* manage mararc file in postinst, i.e. update mararc on package upgrade and
create a fresh marac on new installation.

The last point is not easy to get right.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to handle lcdproc configuration this way
(while providing automatic configuration upgrade). [1]

That said, Russ's proposal is probably the most simple.

HTH

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/PackageConfigUpgrade

--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/