Re: Weird conffile case

On 2 March 2014 21:45, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Dariusz Dwornikowski <dariusz.dwornikowski@cs.put.poznan.pl> writes:
>
>> The previous maintainer of maradns modified conffiles in postinst
>> (dynamically checked for the maradns user id and filled
>> /etc/maradns/mararc with this info). This obviously rendered RC bug of
>> violation of policy 10.7.3 [2]. I closed the bug in a new release by not
>> modifying the config and leaving the user to do it, informing her/him
>> with a appropriate message with a user id to fill in.
>
> Does maradns require that the user ID be specified as a UID?  Why doesn't
> it support specifying the ID as a name (which it would then turn into a
> UID via getpwnam)?  Then you wouldn't have to modify the configuration
> file.
>
> If it doesn't support names now, could that be added?  It might be a
> fairly simple patch, a few lines at most.

It is upstream's choice. But  I will include such a patch, it is quite
trivial. But this is not the case here.
The problem is that installing the package asks for users' decision
(keep config, replace with maintainer, etc).
Applying the patch won't, unfortunately, solve my problem here. Thank
you for the suggestion anyway.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Dariusz Dwornikowski, Assistant