Re: Test builds in gbp patch-queue branch [was: Re: Is there a way to preserve pbuilder chroot environment?]

On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 08:38:06 +0100, Ross Gammon wrote:

> >> 'gbp
> >> buildpackage' fails because it detects altered files in the source code.

> > Ah, here it is in the manpage:
> >     --git-export=treeish

> Thanks Gregor, but I was already aware of --git-export=WC &
> --git-ignore-new. I have used this when I wanted to test changes to e.g.
> d/rules before committing the fix.

Ok.

> What I was probably not clear about, was that I meant changes made
> outside the debian directory.

Ah, indeed, I had not realized this; and I hadn't thought about this
issue because ...

> dpkg-source: info: building gramps using existing
> ./gramps_4.0.3+dfsg.orig.tar.gz
> dpkg-source: info: local changes detected, the modified files are:
>  gramps-4.0.3+dfsg/setup.py
> dpkg-source: error: aborting due to unexpected upstream changes, see
> /tmp/gramps_4.0.3+dfsg-3.diff.8Ha2F5
> dpkg-source: info: you can integrate the local changes with dpkg-source
> --commit
> dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b gramps-4.0.3+dfsg gave error
> exit status 2

... it's dpkg-source here failing, and not gbp :)
(Well, indirectly and later gbp can't go on as well.)

> But anyway, studying this error a bit harder with a clear head in the
> morning, and then studying the man page for dpkg-source, I solved it.
> Adding the option -i.* to gbp successfully got passed to dpkg-source,
> and it built.

I usually create a quick quilt patch (manually or by following the
advive from the error: "you can integrate the local changes with
dpkg-source --commit") in this case.

Or I just try the changes in the chroot (with running "debian/rules
$target" manually there; cf. also Wookey's ideas). Works with
cowbuilder as well with the C10shell hook (which can also be
triggered by a "exit 1" in debian/rules in the desired override_*).

Note that this "local changes detected" error only happens with
source format 3.0 quilt, and is generally considered an advantage (to
avoid unintentional changes in the upstream code). But yes, during
experimenting it can be a bit annoying.

Cheers,
gregor

   `-   NP: Joan Baez: Ghetto