Re: How to deal with reviews in mentors.debian.net and repositories for new packaging work

On 26 February 2014 09:55:44 GMT+00:00, Emmanuel Kasper <emmanuel@libera.cc> wrote:
>I have uploaded a package on mentors.debian.net, and I got some review
>of my package suggesting some modifications
>(http://mentors.debian.net/package/vmtouch)
>
>Now that I have done the suggested changes, should I rather:
>A) delete the old package, upload a new one with same version number
>(and lose the reviewing suggestions)
>
>B) keep the old package online, upload a new one with same version
>number (at the expense of some confusion in the mentors.debian.net
>page)
>
>C) delete the old package, upload a new one with a new revision number
>(even if the changes are minimal)

Leave the version number the same and upload to mentors again. The new package will appear above the old on the package page.

>I have also read on the list that some mentors like to have a link to a
>VCS to review the pacaking work. Is it possibile to host the packaging
>work on alioth when you're not a Debian Developper ?
>
>I know for instance NetBSD has an extra CVS repo called pkgsrc-wip
>where
>all newbies can out their stuff before it's added to the real thing.
>If not I can use github/gitorious.

I believe you could use collab-maint but I have no experience with it myself.

As you say alternatively use github or similar, I have done that for 3 of my packages.

Using git will also allow you to use git-buildpackage. Details are in the wiki... But I don't have the link to hand.

>Greetings
>Emmanuel

- ---
Regards