Re: Rules for packaging forked software

For gtkimageview I'm not familiar with the situation but I expect that
is more like the typical embedded code copies situation; viewnior
upstream probably didn't bother sending their few patches to
gtkimageview upstream. The right thing to do in that case is to get
the two upstreams talking about the patches so they can be included.

Yes, exactly. The Author of viewnior took some parts of gtkimageview and
embedded it in viewnior, cutting some code out and changing  names of functions and
some variables. I think this is the reason for his reluctance to patch original gtkimageview.
Also gtkimageview, from what I can see on their github [1] have not been active in 3 years.
During the last ITP [2] Julien Lavergne and Yao Wei managed to create diff and they came to the same
conclusions. Also they contacted viewnior Author and asked to strip the library out of viewnior but he refused.

I can see two ways out now. One is to just package viewnior. If gtkimageview is not active anymore and viewnior is, then
we can assume that their ways went apart much and really this is a new version of the library. Also I think that if
viewnior Author would not explicitly tell that he used gtkimageview, we probably would not have this hassle.

The second way is to contact both sides and get their responds. Here I suspect they both would not want to participate.

Anyway, the package is ready [3].

[1] https://github.com/GNOME/gtkimageview
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=582090
[3] https://mentors.debian.net/package/viewnior