Rules for packaging forked software

Hi,

tl;dr => What is the Debian Policy about packaging forked software?

I couldn't find this problem discussed in Debian Policy nor with
Google-helped search in mailing lists. If I missed something obvious
or I'm posting to a wrong list, please let me know as bluntly as you wish.

Recently, libx86emu [1] entered Debian as a prerequisite for the
newest version of hwinfo. Libx86emu and friends exists in at least 3
different forms in Debian (see [2] for explanation) which are forked
from a one single project. Now, I recently heard about viewnior
which was ITP and RFP some time ago [3] and did not enter Debian
because it contains a fork of libgtkview [4]. I encountered these
two cases *myself*, what makes me think that it may be even a quite
popular problem.

Are there any (semi)official rules concerning this issue?

Cheers,
Tomasz

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/libx/libx86emu.html
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=733578#53