Re: How to selectively silence git-multimail messages ?

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Sometimes, I can guess in advance that a push will generate a flood of
> > emails that will not be very relevant at best and annoying at worse on
> > my packaging team's mailing list.  For instance, merges from upstream's
> > master branch, with hundreds of commits that do not change the contents
> > of the debian directory.  Sometimes, to avoid them, I log on Alioth and
> > disable temporarly the commit hook.
>
> > Would anybody be able to improve the system so that, when pushing with the
> > --quiet option, the individual emails for each commits will be skipped ?
>
> I've been wondering about this too.  Something to send out only a summary
> mail message if a given push results in, say, more than 20 commits would
> be very nice.
>
> The last time I pushed the upstream merge for OpenAFS, I think it sent
> about 200 mail messages with all the upstream changes since the previous
> release.

There's no good answer unfortunately. There's this ticket requesting
the possibility to filter commit notices per branch:
https://github.com/mhagger/git-multimail/pull/15

But it hasn't seen any recent progress. And somehow I fear it would work
correctly only if you take care to push the upstream branch first
in a separate push.

The possibility to limit the number of commit notices also looks like a
good idea, I filed it here:
https://github.com/mhagger/git-multimail/issues/41

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/