Re: generic debian/rules that creates directories

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 12:08 PM, T o n g wrote:

> Ok, so I read the manpage of dh_installdirs(1), which I included below.
> But still how can I use it to create patch that I can send upstream to
> support creating $DESTDIR/usr/bin and so on, as suggested by Paul?

The two topics are completely separate and unrelated.

dh_installdirs is a tool to create directories but it is usually only
needed to workaround deficiencies in upstream build systems.

To create a patch for upstream, learn about Makefile syntax, modify
the Makefile and diff your version of the Makefile against the old
one. How you do the diff depends on the upstream version control
system if any and your own preferences. Personally I choose git for
developing upstream stuff, even if they use no VCS or another VCS.

First add a workaround using dh_installdirs. Then send upstream a
patch. When upstream has accepted your patch and released a new
version, update the package to the new version and drop the
workaround.

--
bye,
pabs