Re: generic debian/rules that creates directories

On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 00:23:42 +0100, Gergely Nagy wrote:

>> Is it possible to alter the following `debian/rules` file so that it
>> plays nicely with such upstream Makefiles?
>
> Yes. You want to use dh_installdirs(1). I suggest you read its manpage.
> Mind you, you won't need to touch debian/rules for that.

Ok, so I read the manpage of dh_installdirs(1), which I included below.
But still how can I use it to create patch that I can send upstream to
support creating $DESTDIR/usr/bin and so on, as suggested by Paul?

Things are getting far more complicated than I had anticipated.

NAME

dh_installdirs − create subdirectories in package build directories

SYNOPSIS

dh_installdirs [debhelper options] [−A] [dir ...]

DESCRIPTION

dh_installdirs is a debhelper program that is responsible for creating
subdirectories in package build directories.

FILES

debian/package.dirs

Lists directories to be created in package.

OPTIONS

−A, −−all

Create any directories specified by command line parameters in ALL
packages acted on, not just the first.

dir ...

Create these directories in the package build directory of the first
package acted on. (Or in all packages if −A is specified.)

SEE ALSO

debhelper(7)

This program is a part of debhelper.