Re: Restrictive Artwork License

==> I'm not sure what my (tablet) mailer did with my initial posting, but
you might have got it garbled, hence I apologize and send it again. Eric

Hi,

I would tend to agree with what Paul wrote but IANAL and you should ask on
debian-legal for a more authoritative answer. A few more comments below:

Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 07:36:42PM +0100, Felix Natter wrote:
>> (upstream) Freeplane 1.3.x will have new icons (application icon,
document icon), but the artist wants to keep all rights and only
>grant
>> the Freeplane project all rights of use.
>
>> --> Is that ok for Debian?
>
>Not for Debian main, no. You will have to strip the icons from the
software, or move it to non-free.
The author should provide a clear license, e.g. using Creative Commons, as
even redistributing artwork might be understood as a right of use, which
Debian wouldn't have and hence even non-free would be impossible.

>> --> Is it even compatible with the GPL-2+ license of Freeplane?
>
>Yes[*]
I guess, it means that having the icons in a jar file isn't OK, having
them in the file system is OK, but java was always a border case because
it doesn't "link" as it was understood when the GPL2 was written (GPL3
might even be another story). The easiest would be if upstream would
change their plans and not take this artwork, no icon justifies the
trouble, but I know upstream, coolness vs. legal were always difficult
discussions ;-)

>> Thanks and Happy New Year,
All the same,
Eric

>> --
>> Felix Natter
>
>[*]: So long as the icons are totally and sepretely loaded. For
>     instance, no one would claim the GPL'd GIMP program can only edit
GPL compatable images, just as in the general case, I don't think
it's a problem for a GPL'd program to render or load in non-GPL'd
assets.

--
You don't need to CC me on debian-java, debian-mentors,
pkg-java-maintainers and pkg-vdr-dvb-devel.
Hi,

I would tend to agree with what Paul wrote but IANAL and you should ask on debian-legal for a more authoritative answer.
A few more comments below:
I'm on debian-java, java maintainers, vdr maintainers and debian-mentors; no need to CC me on these lists. Thanks!