Re: arch-dependent files in "Multi-Arch: same" package

Olе Streicher <debian-devel@liska.ath.cx> wrote:
> for some of my newly uploaded packages, I got a bug report
> 'arch-dependent files in "Multi-Arch: same" package' [1]. The files in
> question are in /usr/share/doc/<package>.

> However, these differences do not come from differences in the
> architecture but from different build environments. Specifically, these
> are sphinx generated files, where sphinx puts its own version number
> into the HTML footer. Since it took some time for the package to enter
> Debian, the prebuild (uploaded) amd64 version differs slightly from the
> i386 version build by buildd.debian.org.

> My question here is now how strict it is to have identical files in
> /usr/share/doc even when build in a different environment (basically,
> both versions are fine here).

Hello,
It is quite important. If the shared files are not binary identical
then the two versions of the package cannot be installed together, i.e.
multiarch functionality is completely broken.

> And, if it is important, how I can ensure
> that these files are identical when the build tools change (causing
> minimal changes in the output).

I do not think there is a magic bullet. You could edit out the version
number with sed or perl. Or perhaps there are some commandline
switches to get rid of the differences. Another option would be to
move out the documentation to a separate arch-independent package.

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'