Re: Packaging GNUstep automatically

Hi,

gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 12:12:56 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Markus Hitter wrote:
>> > Packaging is out of the scope of Debian? That's an unexpected
>response. :-)
>> You asked about automated packaging, which isn't something we do in
>> Debian right now AFAIK.
>
>And IMO all attempts that we've seen so far were of rather poor
>quality.
>I mean, there _is_ a reason why we have Linux distributions and
>human packagers :)
Of course, we need to make the difference between creating the package (i.e. writing all the necessary config files defining the package) which is mostly manual, and actually building the package which can be (and is) automated. The difference is IMHO the same as between writing code (manual) and building it (automated).
The similarity goes as far as your build can only remain automated as long as the structure of your software remains the same, else you need to adapt manually your build configuration or it'll break.

Eric
--
Sent from my tablet. Please excuse my brevity.