Re: Packaging GNUstep automatically

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 20:39:26 +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:

> > And IMO all attempts that we've seen so far were of rather poor
> > quality. I mean, there _is_ a reason why we have Linux
> > distributions and human packagers :)
> And there's also a reason why there's a severe shortage of these human
> packagers. Else there weren't thousands of easily fixable lintian
> errors and else I wouldn't have to show up here to fix our own
> packages, right? :-)

Ack, we could always use more people doing the packaging.

> > Upstream development and packaging are two different tasks and two
> > different skill sets. Of course it's possible to do both but then
> > one has to learn both.
> Sounds like you're actually proud of packaging being so alien to
> developers.

No, it's just that packaging also needs to be learned.

> >> 9) Build a package locally with "debuild ... "
> >> Uhm, here I'm stuck. Some instructions recommend "debuild -d",
> >> some "debuild -i -uc -us", some "debuild -S -sd". All of them
> >> fail with the
> [...]
> > Well, to build a package for the new release you need the tarball
> > of the new upstream release, and it must be named according to what
> > the error message tells you.
> Hmm. "Upstream release" is the SCM repo I currently work in. This
> would lead to the following procedure:

Ack, then you should create a tarball from the repo (without the
debian/ directory).

With git this works quite well with git-archive.

> 9) Tar these modified upstream sources up (sort of tar-yourself-up):

>   export TAR_DIR=$(basename "${PWD}") && \
>     (cd .. && \
>      tar -cvzf ${PKG_NAME}_${GNUSTEP_MAKE_VERSION}.orig.tar.gz \
>          --exclude .git --exclude .pc "${TAR_DIR}") && \
>     unset TAR_DIR

"--exclude debian" maybe?

> OK, apparently debuild wants a tar of the unpatched files in
> combination with patched files inside the current directory.

Well, dpkg-buildpackage doesn't expect the _upstream_ tarball to have
the _debian_ patches applied already :)

> A bit more wrestling with the changelog file, because the GPG key name
> is picked from there and dch doesn't agree with gpg on who am I, and:

You can set DEBEMAIL and DEBFULLNAME, cf. dch(1).

>   ==> Successfully signed dsc and changes files

Cool!

Cheers,
gregor

   `-   NP: Supertramp: Give Me A Chance