Re: No relro when building from inside a Git package ?

Le Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:26:24AM +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 05:29:26PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >
> >     gbp clone git.debian.org:/git/debian-med/htslib.git
>
> When doing `git-buildpackage` (which for sure includes the .git dir) I
> can not see the effect you are describing.  The only thing lintian (and
> I) are more concerned about is:
>
>   E: libhts0: symbols-file-contains-current-version-with-debian-revision on symbol cram_index_build@Base
>   W: libhts0: symbols-file-contains-debian-revision on symbol bam_mplp_init_overlaps@Base and 1 others
>
> I personally would simply drop the symbols file since it seems to
> introduce more harm than good.

Hi Andreas,

this is strange, in my case, from a fresh clone, and when building with "git
buildpackage -us -uc", I see the hardening-no-relro tag.

$ lintian -I --pedantic ../htslib_0.2.0~rc4-1_amd64.changes
I: htslib source: quilt-patch-using-template-description debian-changes
W: htslib source: newer-standards-version 3.9.5 (current is 3.9.4)
W: libhts0: hardening-no-relro usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhts.so.0.2.0~rc4-1
P: libhts0: no-upstream-changelog
E: libhts0: symbols-file-contains-current-version-with-debian-revision on symbol cram_index_build@Base
W: libhts0: symbols-file-contains-debian-revision on symbol bam_mplp_init_overlaps@Base and 1 others
P: libhts-dev: no-upstream-changelog
W: libhts-dev: manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man5/vcf.5.gz  file `<standard input>', around line 15:
P: htslib-test: no-upstream-changelog

For the tags related to the symbols file, this is because the package is work
in progress.  I pull upsteam commits as they go and only update the version
number when upstream makes new tags, therefore Debian revisions contain changes
to the library's symbols.

Given that the API is not yet stable, I understand that the symbols file is not
yet useful, but I prefer having it in the package now so that I do not forget
to add it when I start to upload packages built on the htslib-dev package.

Cheers,

--
Charles