Updating an existing package

Hello all,

  I on a quest to update the lucene-solr package myself to use the latest version of solr. After reading the debian mentors faq, I am unsure whether I need to request a sponsor or contact the current maintainer of the package to get this done. I could only find one bug (#594027) related to this package, which seems like the only thread discussing the package at all.

  So my question is threefold. Is updating this package a reasonable goal for a noob? Should I use reportbug to reopen #594027 or open a new bug for the update? And slightly off topic, what is the role of groups like java debian maintainers when individuals end up maintaining packages?

Thanks
  Nick