Re: possible-gpl-code-linked-with-openssl

On Wed, 2013-10-16 at 10:36 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

> I can see where this might not be enough to allow adding the license
> exception without an explicit statement from upstream, but at least to
> my eye, it does seem to contradict the notion that "upstream did not
> link against [OpenSSL]".

Maybe upstream never linked the code at all or used a mock
implementation that only provides the openssl interface without
functionality ;)

The real issue is, who linked the binary that gets distributed, and
therefore, who has to comply with the GPL, and this is not the upstream
author. To rephrase Dominik's comment: "Upstream did not link openssl
against the binary that will get distributed, the package maintainer
does that."

my 0.02?

regards,
Gert