Re: (override) dh_compress

Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org> writes:

>   I am trying to skip the dh_compress steps for the following package:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/tbb-examples/filelist
>
>   Instead of manually checking all possible combinations (-Xcpp
> -Xpbxproj, -Xvcproj ... ), I thought I could just do:
>
> $ cat debian/rules
> # Makefiles should not be compressed (tbb-examples)
> override_dh_compress-indep:
>
>   Technically this is adapted from the dh man page. However this is an
> error *not* to compress debian changelog.
>
>   What would you do:
>
> - fill a bug report to dh, at least get the man page fixed ?

The man page is correct, it states: "By default...". If you override it,
the default will not be used.

> - grep all possible extensions, watching out for conflict with
> d/*changelog and pass that to dh_compress -X .. ?

I would suggest one of the following:

1) Disable dh_compress, but do compress d/changelog:

override_dh_compress-indep:
        dh_compress debian/$packagename/usr/share/doc/changelog*

2) Use a better exclude mechanism

override_dh_compress-indep:
        dh_compress -X*/examples/*

I have not tested either option, but both should work with just a little
bit of modification, would I remember the syntax wrongly.